God Has Advice for Children, As Well

Hearken unto thy father that begat thee, and despise not thy mother when she is old.  Proverbs, Chapter 23, verse 22.

God doesn’t only have advice for parents in the Bible; He has advice for children, as well.  He wants children to listen to their parents.  We aren’t to resent our parents or ignore them when they get older when they aren’t as convenient to take care of.  I don’t think He’s saying we’ve done our bit to put our parents away in a nursing home somewhere as long as we pay the bills.  I don’t have the perfect answer but I’ve seen the elderly in nursing homes, starved for attention because they haven’t seen their children in months or years.

I admired the way my family pitched together to try to keep my grandfather at home where he felt comfortable as long as they possibly could.  My great-aunt would take him shopping for groceries.  My uncle would come mow his yard and clean around the house and my aunt would look after his legal issues that he was oblivious to.  My other uncle took care of his finances.  My mother would balance his checkbook, trying to locate the necessary paperwork.  Many family members were involved, some living closer and some far away.  Everyone helped in whichever capacity they felt able.  His aging presented a situation that seemed to pull the family together.

Because this is an example of how I’ve applied this Bible passage to my life, it doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage.




This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections. 
Please click on comments below to share your suggestions. Thanks! Debbie