A Bird in the Hand Christian

Then said one unto Him, Lord, are there few that be saved? And He said unto them, Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.  When once the Master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and He shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are: Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets.  But He shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity.  Luke, Chapter 13, verses 23-27.

This reminds me of when I was heavy and there were people that weren’t really friendly to me.  When I lost the weight, all of a sudden these same people were much friendlier.  I didn’t really want to be close friends with them at that point.  They had an opportunity to be friendly with me before when I was heavy, and they hadn’t chosen to.
Jesus may be telling us something very similar about putting off our decision to become active Christians.  If we don’t acknowledge Him when He calls us, maybe He won’t remember us when we get around to asking Him for help.
Something unexpected like an accident might happen where we don’t ever get another chance.  If I’m a “Bird in the Hand Christian,” I need to develop my relationship with God now, while I have the chance.
Here is a related passage:
*Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto Life, and few there be that find it.  Matthew, Chapter 7, verses 13-14.

Because this an example of how I’ve applied these Bible passages to my life, it doesn’t necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passages. Debbie


This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections