Nicer Thing to Share with Expectant Mothers...

A woman when she is in travail hath sorrow, because her hour is come: but as soon as she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the anguish, for joy that a man is born into the world.  John, Chapter 16, verse 21.

My mother told me something like this when I was expecting my daughter.  I was somewhat apprehensive since this was my first child.  Ever since then, I share this with other expectant mothers who tend to be overwhelmed by all the delivery-room horror stories that their supposed friends and co-workers share with them.
I have never figured out why women do this to each other.  You would think that if they had been scared by the delivery stories that other people had told them, they wouldn’t want to do this to their friends.  I have continued to see women do this over the years and in different parts of the country.  It’s almost like some female bonding ritual, where mothers get to see if the expectant mother is worthy of her newborn child by living through all the delivery-room horror stories shared with them.
My mother told me that God made childbirth very special.  Although there is some pain involved, it’s only for a little while and your focus is on having your new child born healthy.  The pain tends to pale in comparison to the anticipation of having a happy, healthy child.
She reminded me of scars I had as a youngster.  I can remember that the original cut hurt, but I can’t actually feel the pain associated with those scars anymore.  She told me that God made childbirth pain in much the same way since people wouldn’t continue to have children if they held onto the pain.
My mother said the pain experienced disappears from your focus once you have your new child in your arms.  Now, I think this is a much nicer thing to share with expectant mothers than the other delivery-room stories that I mentioned, and it’s nice there is Scripture to back it up.

Since this is an example of how I've applied this Bible passage to my life, it does not necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage.


This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections.