I've Been a Gimme, Gimme Christian

Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right Spirit within me.  Cast me not away from Thy presence; and take not Thy Holy Spirit from me.  Restore unto me the joy of Thy Salvation; and uphold me with Thy free Spirit.  Psalm, Chapter 51, verses 10-12.

I have a “Gimme Gimme Christian” relationship with God.  I have said these previous verses many times in church, asking God to make me a better Christian.  But the next verse says, Then will I teach transgressors Thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto Thee.” Psalm, Chapter 51, verse 13.
 I have focused on what I want God to do for me all these years.  I want Him to forgive me for all the sinful things I have done.  I want Him to give me a new heart and fresh start so that I can go to heaven. 

I haven’t focused on the things that I should be doing for God, as stated in that last verse, like sharing God’s love with others.  I hesitate because I think, Big risk! Big risk!  But then I wonder, do I want to continue to be a “Gimme, Gimme Christian,” focused only on what’s in it for me?

This seems especially significant on Christmas Day when so many are focused on the gifts that they have received rather than Jesus' birth, the ultimate gift for our Salvation!


Because this is an example of how I’ve applied this Bible passage to my life, it doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage.


This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections. 
Please click on comments below to share your suggestions. Thanks! Debbie