Praying on Auto Pilot

But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.  Matthew, Chapter 6, verse 7.

I get caught up in thinking that I’m saying these wonderful prayers, but I recognize that they don’t mean anything if I’m daydreaming about situations at work or what I need to get at the store.  I realize that when I say the same prayers over and over without thinking about what I’m saying to God, they ARE vain repetitions!  God doesn’t want me just going through the motions when I pray.  He wants any communication I have with Him to be meaningful enough to focus on it.

Here is a related passage:
*This people draweth nigh unto Me with their mouth, and honoureth Me with their lips; but their heart is far from Me.  But in vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.  Matthew, Chapter 15, verses 8-9.

Because this an example of how I’ve applied these Bible passages to my life, it doesn’t necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passages.


This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections.