Stooping to the Same Level

Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbor, and hate thine enemy.  But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you: That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for He maketh His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye?  do not even the publicans the same?  Matthew, Chapter 5, verses 43-46.

God isn’t asking me to ignore hurtful and spiteful things that people do because I am a Christian.  He is asking me to go further than that.  He wants me to be nice to them in return, despite their actions and to pray for them.  I think we are much better examples of our beliefs when we don’t stoop to the same level as others, but it’s difficult at times.  God can take care of my pride if I ask Him to, making me a better example of how He works in my life.

Because this is an example of how I’ve applied this Bible passage to my life, it doesn’t necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage.


This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections.