Turning to God First When Not Well

And Asa in the thirty and ninth year of his reign was diseased in his feet, until his disease was exceeding great: yet in his disease he sought not to the Lord, but to the physicians. And Asa slept with his fathers, and died in the one and fortieth year of his reign. 2 Chronicles 16, verses 12-13.


This passage makes me stand up and take note. It becomes apparent to me that God wants us to turn to Him first and foremost when we are ill. I’m not saying that physicians don’t have a place, but I get a clear message that Asa didn’t turn to God at all. He put his faith totally in physicians, and he died in the natural course of his disease.

In contrast, if Asa had turned to God and put his faith in Him, he wouldn’t have died. Sometimes it gets easy to get caught up in the world of science and medicine and to put our total trust in them. I feel that although there have been many medical and scientific breakthroughs; we need to make sure our primary focus is on God. We want Him to guide us to the correct physicians, when needed and to guide those physicians in their actions.

Because this is an example of how I’ve applied this Bible passage to my life, it doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage.


This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections. 
Please click on comments below to share your suggestions. Thanks! Debbie