Growing Beyond Needing the Approval of Others

Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.  We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren.  He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.  Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.  Hereby perceive we the love of God, because He laid down His life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.  1 John, Chapter 3, verses 13-16.

I have spent most of my life trying to be a good person and I got a certain amount of attention from others for the “Good Debbie’s”.  I hope God has helped me grow beyond needing that type of attention and approval from others.
I still find that I’m hurt when someone doesn’t really care for me, because of who I am, my beliefs or what I represent.  I have to remember that not everyone in the world is going to like Christians and it’s okay.

It would be easy to respond to these people that don’t care for us through retaliation or resentment, but God wants us to love everyone, not just the ones that are nice to us.


Because this is an example of how I’ve applied this Bible passage to my life, it doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage.

This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections. 
Please click on comments below to share your suggestions. Thanks! Debbie