They Chose to Believe Some Far-Fetched Story and Worship idols

Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars’ hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.  For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.  God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that He is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; Neither is worshipped with men’s hands, as though He needed any thing, seeing He giveth to all life, and breath, and all things; And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and bounds of their habitation; That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after Him, and find Him, though He be not far from every one of us: For in Him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also His offspring.  Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man’s device.  Acts, Chapter 17, verses 22-29.

This reminds me of when my mother told me about intercourse and how babies are conceived when I was really young.  I have to admit it’s a pretty strange connection to make with this passage.  
I was very young when my mother explained about babies being conceived.  In fact, I don’t really remember her telling me.  The thing is, she did tell me the truth and not some story, just like Paul told them the truth about God and not some story.
Years later, I heard some really far-fetched explanations from fellow students that didn't make sense to me. Fortunately, I asked my mother to explain?  This really confused her because she had already told me the truth and I had chosen to believe a far-fetched story instead.  Well, it seems very similar here.  Paul told them the truth about God, but they chose to believe some far-fetched story and worship idols made by man’s hands instead.  How sad!

Because this is an example of how I’ve applied this Bible passage to my life, it doesn’t necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage.


This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections.