Although You May Have the Best of Intenetions...

I wrote to you in an epistle not to company with fornicators: Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.  But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.  For what have I to do to judge them also that are without?  Do not ye judge them that are within?  But them that are without God judgeth.  Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.  1 Corinthians, Chapter 5:9-13. 

I think God talks to us through Paul like a parent talks to their teenager about people who might be poor influences on them.  A parent might say something like, “I think it’s very important for you to be cautious about what type of people you hang around with at school.  Now, I want you to be polite to everyone, because we aren’t to be judgmental of others, but we are supposed to be aware of the lifestyle choices others make.
“Although you may have the best of intentions, sometimes other people’s bad habits rub off on us even without our being aware of it.  So, it’s important that you don’t hang with kids that you think do drugs, drink, and party or are rude and crude.  I know it’s hard because some of the kids who make poor choices are the ones who seem the most popular.  I hope you know that I’m only telling you this because I love you.  I just don’t want to see you get involved with the wrong type of people.”  Well, I think God often guides us like a loving parent, as well.
Here is a related passage:
*Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath Light with darkness?  And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?  2 Corinthians, Chapter 6:14-15.

Because this is an example of how I’ve applied this Bible passage to my life, it doesn’t necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage.


This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections.