The Good Debbie's

Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.  Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men.  Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.  But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret Himself shall reward thee openly.  Matthew, Chapter 6, verses 1-4.

This passage makes me very aware that I need to be discreet about giving to the church and other charities.  I remember that there was a time in my life that I routinely did favors and nice things for others.  What I really was waiting for was a “thank you” or what I call a “Good Debbie.”  I was waiting for someone else to tell me what a wonderful person I was as if to validate my existence here on earth.
I realize my goal as a Christian is to do nice things discreetly.  So now I do them for God and not the “Good Debbie’s”.  The good works we do for others shouldn’t be to show off or to prove to others what good Christians we are.  They should be out of our love for Jesus.

Because this is an example of how I’ve applied this Bible passage to my life, it doesn’t necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage.


This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections.