Have I Become Apathetic?

And when they were come unto a place called Golgotha, that is to say, a place of a skull. They gave Him vinegar to drink mingled with gall: and when He had tasted thereof, He would not drink. And they crucified Him, and parted His garments, casting lots that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted My garments among them, and upon My vesture did they cast lots. Matthew 27, verses 33-35.

I realize that I have stated on the Bible-Passages Blog that I was posting on Monday and Thursday mornings. I would be remiss as a Christian Author and Blogger if I didn't make note of this special occasion. Am I speaking of the hunting of eggs with baskets? Of course not.

After walking all that way with His cross, whether He was carrying it or had help, He had to be exhausted, but Jesus denied the drink they offered Him. I had never really thought much about this particular passage before, but Jesus didn't do anything that would have made His suffering easier. He was dedicated to giving His life for us and our sins, not minimizing the experience, no matter how painful and gut-wrenching it may be. Jesus knew in advance what was going to befall Him, yet He chose to do it anyway.

The thing I have to ask, "Do I show the same dedication for Him?" I am saddened to say, "No." I was sitting during the Good Friday service which was very moving, thinking of a purchase I want to make. I would bring myself back to focus on what Christ has done for me, only to be drawn back to the thought that maybe I could buy this thing at a local thrift shop.

I had originally planned to stop by the thrift shop after the noon church service in order to see if they had the object I wanted. I decided not to, because I had let something worldly get in between my relationship with God. I decided to go home, read the part of Matthew that related to Christ's crucifixion in order to better focus on this meaninfgul event.

As I read, instead of being moved as I normally am, I was just reading words. I don't want to become apathetic, feeling indifference when I'm reading how Christ gave His life for me. I want to focus on how He chose to give His life knowing that friends would betray Him, He would be spit upon, hit, taunted, and disrespected. They even cast lots for His clothing. He sacraficed His life, even for someone like me who let something worldly get in the way of embracing the gift He so freely gave me and chose to do nothing to minimize the true experience of providing for my salvation.

Because this is an example of how I’ve applied this Bible passage to my life, it doesn’t necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage.


This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections.