It Saddens Me That I've Been This Shallow

Wealth maketh many friends; but the poor is separated from his neighbour.  Proverbs, Chapter 19, verse 4.

I’m somewhat embarrassed to tell you about this, but here goes.  When I was in the seventh grade, I needed to give my little turtle to someone because I was no longer able to keep it.  The teacher let me make an announcement to the whole class.  There were two people who wanted it.  One was the dreamboat of the class who was really popular, but self-absorbed.  Then there was a nice person who wasn’t in the popular group.  I remember thinking that the nice person would have given the turtle a better home, but I ended up giving it to the popular one, instead.  I had seen it as my one chance to get the attention of someone popular.  It saddens me to have been this shallow.

It also makes me think of how many people are immediately friends of those who have won the lottery, who had little to do with them prior to that.

Because this is an example of how I’ve applied this Bible passage to my life, it doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage.


This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections. 
Please click on comments below to share your suggestions. Thanks! Debbie