Being a "Sell-Out" Christian

And Jacob sod pottage [made something like lentil stew]: and Esau came from the field, and he was faint: And Esau said to Jacob, Feed me, I pray thee, with that same red pottage; for I am faint: therefore was his name called Edom.  And Jacob said, Sell me this day thy birthright.  And Esau said, Behold, I am at the point to die: and what profit shall this birthright do me?  And Jacob said, Swear to me this day; and he sware unto him: and he sold his birthright unto Jacob.  Then Jacob gave Esau bread and pottage of lentils; and he did eat and drink, and rose up, and went his way: thus Esau despised his birthright.  Genesis, Chapter 25, verses 29-34.

Unfortunately, I can identify with Esau.  I’ve been a “Sell-out Christian,” selling out my ethics more times than I can mention for food.  Food and control are my two biggest vices.  Satan loves to dangle very subtle things in front of us to pull us into his control. 
It’s so easy to sell out our Christian ethics without even realizing it. It might be by things like spending too much time on the computer that our family goes without our presence.  The computer temporarily becomes a priority over our family.  It might be by telling only partial truths.  Of course, we always tell ourselves that we are doing it to protect others.  Do we come up with reasons why we don’t have time to pray, but spend hours in front of the TV? 

There are lots of subtle ways we sell out our Christian ethics without ever noticing.  Esau lived to regret selling his birthright.  I don’t want to live to regret selling out my Christian ethics either.  I don’t want God telling me on the Last Day, “Debbie, I have other accommodations waiting for you, because you don’t deserve a spot in heaven.  You were too busy doing your own thing to be bothered with leading your life as an example of your love for Me.”

Because this is an example of how I’ve applied this Bible passage to my life, it doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage.

This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections. 
Please click on comments below to share your suggestions. Thanks! Debbie