Prayers from the Bathroom

But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.  And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also.  Luke, Chapter 6, verses 27-29.

I used to get caught up in being angry and resentful when people were rude or insensitive to me.  I can’t say that I don’t ever get caught up in those human emotions anymore.  Fortunately, these passages will pop into my mind in the middle of those feelings.
I realize that God wants me to pray for these people rather than waste my time being angry with them.  I think anger can be a very counterproductive emotion, at times.  I remember a time when I was working under a very insensitive-demanding supervisor.  I was almost to the point of tears at work when I went into the bathroom because I didn’t want anyone to see me crying.  This passage popped into my mind, so I prayed for the supervisor and for God to bless her.  I was only expecting God to make me feel better so I could leave the restroom without anyone realizing I had been crying.
When I left the bathroom after saying that quick prayer, not only did I feel relieved but the supervisor was much nicer to me.  I really wasn’t expecting that to happen.  Since it happened this way the first time, I have gone to the bathroom to pray many times over the years.  Every time I have done this, the situation was much better afterward.  It’s amazing to see how God is personally involved in our lives.
It’s important that I do not respond to these people in like manner.  Coming back with an equally hateful or insensitive remark isn’t being the example God wants me to be of how He works in my life.  When I pray for these people, I’m putting them in God’s very capable hands.  Actually, it would be wonderful if these hurtful or rude people would have their lives turned around by God who can cause miraculous changes in anyone.
Here are some related passages:
*Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.  Romans, Chapter 12, verse 14.
*Recompense to no man evil for evil.  Provide things honest in the sight of all men.  If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.  Romans, Chapter 12, verses 17-18. 
*Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.  Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans, Chapter 12, verses 20-21.  There is also a similar passage in Matthew, Chapter 5, verse 44.
*And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak, also.  And whosoever shalt compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.  Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not away.  Matthew, Chapter 5, verses 40-42.
*The disciple is not above his Master, nor the servant above his Lord.  It is enough for the disciple that he be as his Master, and the servant as his Lord.  If they have called the Master of the house Beelzebub, how much more shall they call them of His household?  Matthew, Chapter 10, verses 24-25.

Because this an example of how I’ve applied these Bible passages to my life, it doesn’t necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passages.


This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections. 
Share by clicking on comments below. Thanks! Debbie