Monday, April 3, 2017

Some Humbling Time to Think About All My Shortcomings, Not What We Look Like On the Outside to Others, Holding One of My Grandmother's Hands As She Passed Away Posts

Since Bible Passages That Can Influence Your Life, is now on line through individual posts, I am now putting several links together for each post. I found groupings of three posts worked well for anyone interested in using these for a Bible study group.  Debbie Seiling


For as often as ye eat this Bread, and drink this Cup, ye do show the Lord’s death till He comes.  Wherefore whosoever shall eat this Bread, and drink this Cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the Body and Blood of the Lord.  But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that Bread, and drink of that Cup.  For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord’s Body.  For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.  For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.  But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.  1 Corinthians, Chapter 11, verses 26-32.

God wants me to do some self-reflection before I have communion.  It’s important, especially for “Self-righteous Christians” like me, to have some humbling time to think about all my shortcomings.  It doesn’t only mean the major vices.  Some of us get big heads because we don’t think we have those obvious vices that others might have.  We often need to be taken down a notch because we are just as sinful.
We aren’t to think our sins aren’t as great as someone else’s and feel that we are more worthy than they are.  We are just as sinful by the subtle things we allow to creep into our lives.  These keep us from being the Christian that God wants us to be.  Times when we were less than patient and loving with our families, the times we yelled at someone on the freeway, the times we were gossiping with others, etc.
God is saying it is better for us to have periodic reflective time now, judging ourselves rather than continuing to live our sinful, self-righteous lives.  That is preferable to finding out later from God on the Last Day that we didn’t make the “final cut.”  That’s one eye opener I don’t want, so I need to start by making changes in my life today!


Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.  And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.  And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.  Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself; is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the Truth; Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.  Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.  For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.  1 Corinthians, Chapter 13, verses 1-9. 
And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.  1 Corinthians, Chapter 13, verse 13.

I love this passage.  It tells me that I can profess to be a good Christian and do all kinds of things that look generous to others.  Unless I live the life of a Christian by being genuinely charitable in my actions, loving my neighbors, my enemies or those that believe differently than I do, then I’m all talk.
There was a song we learned in Vacation Bible School years ago called If You’re a Christian and You Know It.  Well, it says that if you were a Christian then your face would really show it, clap your hands.  I think it should say instead that if you were a Christian, then your life will really show it.  That’s the true indicator of being a Christian, not what we look like on the outside to others.


O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.  But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.  Therefore, my beloved brethren be ye steadfast, unmovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.  1 Corinthians, Chapter 15, verse 55-58.

I remember when my father and I were in the hospital with each of us -holding one of my grandmother’s hands as she passed away.  She didn’t fight it and she seemed to be at peace with the idea of joining God in heaven.
Here is a related passage:
*Come unto Me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.  For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light.  Matthew, Chapter 11, verses 28-30.

(This portion isn't in the book: Bible Passages That Can Influence Your Life. I was holding my grandmother's hand to be a comfort to her and to my father who was holding her other hand as his mother passed away. When she joined God, her hand became relaxed and at peace. She no longer was suffering. She no longer had pain. She was in the comfort of her Heavenly Father.)

Because this is an example of how I’ve applied this Bible passage to my life, it doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage.

These are other blogs I felt led to create:

This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections. 
Please click on comments below to share your suggestions. Thanks! Debbie

Translate

Zoe Ministry.org

Zoe Ministry.org
Empower Orphans to Raise Their Siblings

AmeriCares.org

AmeriCares.org
Saving Lives World Wide

Heifer International.org

Heifer International.org
A Gift of an Animal Can Change People's Lives

Link