Monday, December 5, 2016

I've Been a Self-Righteous Christian, Caught Up in My Own Little World, and I've Been Just a "Sunday Christian" Posts-

Since Bible Passages That Can Influence Your Life, is now on line through individual posts, I am now putting several links together for each post. I found groupings of three posts worked well for anyone interested in using these for a Bible study group.  Debbie Seiling


Then there arose a reasoning among them, which of them should be greatest.  And Jesus, perceiving the thought of their heart, took a child, and set him by Him, and said unto them, Whosoever shall receive this child in My Name receiveth Me: and whosoever shall receive Me receiveth Him that sent Me: for he that is least among you all, the same shall be great.  Luke, Chapter 9, verses 46-48.

Being a “Self-righteous Christian” too many times to mention, this passage reminds us that we shouldn’t get caught up in determining how great we are for all the good things we do in God’s Name.  That isn’t what it’s all about.  God says, For he who is least among you all, the same shall be great.”  I need to make sure that I’m focused on living the life God wants for me rather than trying to look pious to others by attaining religious status.


But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?  And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed leaving him half dead.  And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.  And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.  But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him, And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.  And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.  Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell, among the thieves?  And he said, He that showed mercy on him, Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.  Luke, Chapter 10, verses 29-37.

It makes me think of all the people that need help on the side of the road that I ignore.  I have a dilemma.  It isn’t very safe to be picking up people by the side of the road these days, but I bet there are things I can do to help anyway.  I could probably ask them if they need me to call a tow truck or something.  That might be risky too.  What I have been doing is using my cell phone, at times, to call the highway patrol to tell them the approximate location of the broken down car.  I know it’s not as big an effort as the Samaritan made, but I think we all need to start someplace.  I get too caught up in my own little world and tend to ignore the things that make me uncomfortable or that I really don’t want to deal with.  I need to be more sensitive to the needs of others, being an example on a regular basis of how God works in my life.
And it came to pass, as He spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto Him, Blessed is the womb that bare Thee, and the paps which Thou hast sucked.  But He said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the Word of God, and keep it.  Luke, Chapter 11, verses 27-28.

God lets me know in this passage that it’s not good enough to hear the Word of God.  We are supposed to live the life that He suggests.  It reminds me of teaching math to children.  I would explain a new math concept to nodding heads.  I would ask if anyone had a question, but they rarely did.  I thought they really understood the concept, but as I walked around the room, I found that although the children thought they understood the concept, they weren’t applying it and were lost.
It’s pretty easy to hear things in church and feel it’s impacted your life.  If we are just “Sunday Christians” cussing at other motorists, yelling at our kids or being rude to others the rest of the week, we may not be living our lives as examples of how God works in us. Click on the Post title to read a related Bible passage.

Because this is an example of how I’ve applied this Bible passage to my life, it doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage.

These are other blogs I felt led to create:

This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections. 
Please click on comments below to share your suggestions. Thanks! Debbie

Translate

Zoe Ministry.org

Zoe Ministry.org
Empower Orphans to Raise Their Siblings

AmeriCares.org

AmeriCares.org
Saving Lives World Wide

Heifer International.org

Heifer International.org
A Gift of an Animal Can Change People's Lives

Link