Thursday, December 15, 2016

Being So Big Headed That I Lose My Humility, Not to Gain Personal Recognition, and the Stuff in My Life Becomes Too Important Posts-

Since Bible Passages That Can Influence Your Life, is now on line through individual posts, I am now putting several links together for each post. I found groupings of three posts worked well for anyone interested in using these for a Bible study group.  Debbie Seiling


For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.  Luke, Chapter 14, verse 11.

In the previous three verses in the Bible, Jesus was talking about a wedding to teach us to have humility.  Rather than go to a wedding and sit in a seat of honor, only to be embarrassed when asked to sit in a position of lower status, it was better to be humble and sit in the lower status seats. and then, to be asked to sit in the position of honor.  I think He was trying to convey that He doesn’t want us getting so self-righteous and big-headed that we lose our focus and humility. Click on the title to read some related Bible passages.


Then said He also to him that bade Him, When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, neither thy kinsmen, nor thy rich neighbors; lest they also bid thee again, and a recompense be made thee.  But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind: And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.  Luke, Chapter 14, verses 12-14.

This passage lets me know that when I do nice things for others I need to make sure that I’m doing them for people who really need it and not to do it to gain some sort of personal recognition for my actions.
It’s sometimes a hard one to live by because it makes me look at my motives for doing favors.  Yes, I have found there have been times when I was choosing to do things for someone to draw attention to myself.  Now, I’m trying to be more discreet in my favors to avoid this self-focus.


So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be My disciple.  Luke, Chapter 14, verse 33.

I spent all day yesterday packing up my classroom.  My husband has taken a job in a state that we had previously lived in.  I thought it would only take a few hours to finish packing, but it was 7:00 p.m. when my husband and I finally pulled away from the school.
I was amazed because I had given so many teaching resources away during the year and still had so much stuff.  One of the teachers came by and made a comment about how I should get rid of all the stuff.  I was appalled with the idea.  I couldn’t get rid of all my stuff.  It was important to me!
The stuff in my life becomes too important and gets in the way of my relationship with God.  I would hate for Jesus to tell me that I couldn’t come to heaven to be with Him because my stuff had become more important than He was.
I had to come back and add this to what I had written this morning.  My husband came home and I was preparing to paint the bathroom before we put our house on the market.  I said something about taking all my paint to our new house so I can try my hand at sponge painting the next house we buy.  He said it would take too much room and we can get more paint after we move.  I got upset with him for even thinking of getting rid of it.  Then I realized that I hadn’t learned very much from writing about this earlier.  I was still having a hard time letting go of stuff!
God had perfect timing by having me deal with this particular passage right now.  It wasn’t one week earlier or a month later.  It was the exact same day that I am having stuff withdrawal issues.  Isn’t it wonderful that God could time this so precisely?  He knows as well as I do, I really need to continue to work on this one!!!!! Click on the post title to read some related Bible passages.

Because this is an example of how I’ve applied this Bible passage to my life, it doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage.

These are other blogs I felt led to create:

This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections. 
Please click on comments below to share your suggestions. Thanks! Debbie

Jesus Calls You, But Do Your Actions Say You Don't Desire Him?

A Christian Caregiver Blog

A Christian Caregiver Blog
Trying to Maintain a Focus on Christ's Will While Providing Care for a Parent

Free2ShareVBS Link

Free2ShareVBS Link
Free VBS Curriculum

Translate