Monday, October 24, 2016

Letting Go of the Big Clothes, I've Been a Back Seat Driver Christian, and Have We Become Desensitized? Posts-

Since Bible Passages That Can Influence Your Life, is now on line through individual posts, I am now putting several links together for each post. I found groupings of three posts worked well for anyone interested in using these for a Bible study group.  Debbie Seiling


This Bible passage is when Jesus walked on the water to meet the boat with the disciples on it.
But straight way Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.  And Peter answered Him and said, Lord, if it be Thou, bid me come unto Thee on the water.  And He said, Come.  And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.  But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.  And immediately Jesus stretched forth His hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?  And when they were come into the ship, the wind ceased.  Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped Him, saying Of a Truth Thou art the Son of God.  Matthew, Chapter 14, verses 27-33.
After God allowed me to experience the miracle of losing 80+ pounds of excess weight, my church was having a garage sale.  I looked at my big clothes and thought I probably should keep them in case I gained all the weight back.  The thought was in my head that I didn’t trust God to take care of me.  I was virtually saying, “God I’m going to keep these big clothes just in case you don’t continue to take care of my weight problem.”  This realization made a major difference in my life.  I decided to get rid of the big clothes immediately.  I definitely don’t want to start sinking like Peter did when He wasn’t trusting Jesus to take care of him. Click on the post title to read a related Bible passage.


While He yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a Voice out of the cloud, which said, This is My beloved Son, in Whom I am well pleased: hear ye Him.  And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid.  Matthew 17, verses 5-6.
You know how famous football players and movie stars are on commercials endorsing particular products they like, so others will come to know how good they are?  Well, this is an endorsement from God so the disciples of Jesus would know how good He is.  His is an endorsement that defies all explanation.
It makes me wonder what God’s endorsement of me would be.  “This is one of my supposed followers, Debbie.  She is a ‘Back Seat Driver Christian,’ telling others how they should live their lives as Christians, unwilling to do the same.  It would have been nice to count her as one of My flock, but she backed away from opportunities that I have given her to share her faith-so sad!”


 And Jesus called a little child unto Him, and set him in the midst of them.  And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.  Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.  And whoso shall receive one such little child in My Name receiveth Me.  But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in Me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.  Woe unto the world because of offences!  for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!  Matthew, Chapter 18, verses 2-7. 
Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of My Father which is in heaven.  Matthew, Chapter 18, verse 10.
Usually, I interpret this passage to mean that we should have the faith of a little child in order to go to heaven.  This time, this passage was saying to me that the people who abuse children physically, sexually and emotionally better beware because God doesn’t want anyone hurting children under any circumstances.  I noticed that there are exclamation marks used in this passage a couple of times and I don’t see them used much in the Bible.  I take it to mean that Jesus is emphatically telling people to beware not to harm children.
It’s so sad.  The court systems are full of children who have been neglected and abused in one form or another.  What’s even worse is that some of these children have been abused by their own family members who are supposed to love them and protect them from harm.
What can we do as Christians?  We can make an effort to not become so desensitized to the needs of abused children because we see it so frequently in the news.  We can support legislators to enact laws to make it more difficult for the court system to let out pedophiles, rapists and aggressive criminals.  We can mentor a child who appears to need a little extra attention.  Going to read or play games with children in the Women’s Shelters can be beneficial, because these children need someone in their corner. 
We can encourage our children to include others who appear to be loners.  This helps not only the isolated child, but it teaches our children to be sensitive to the needs of others instead of being “I”, “Me” focused.  The list of things we could do is endless. Click on the Post title to read a related Bible passage.

Because this is an example of how I’ve applied this Bible passage to my life, it doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage.

These are other blogs I felt led to create:

This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections. 
Please click on comments below to share your suggestions. Thanks! Debbie

Translate

Zoe Ministry.org

Zoe Ministry.org
Empower Orphans to Raise Their Siblings

AmeriCares.org

AmeriCares.org
Saving Lives World Wide

Heifer International.org

Heifer International.org
A Gift of an Animal Can Change People's Lives

Link