Thursday, August 11, 2016

You Can't Fool God!, Some Cater to a Child's Every Wish, Sometimes We Waste Our Time posts

Since Bible Passages That Can Influence Your Life, is now on line through individual posts, I am now putting several links together for each post. I found groupings of three posts worked well for anyone interested in using these for a Bible study group.  Debbie Seiling


It is a snare to the man who devoureth that which is holy, and after vows to make inquiry.  Proverbs, Chapter 20, verse 25.

I can’t explain what this passage actually means, only how this relates to me.
I’m not supposed to have sugar because Hypoglycemia runs in my family.  It also makes me cranky with those I care about.  Anyway, there have been times when someone brought a treat into the Teacher’s Lounge to share.  I knew it probably had too much sugar in it.  I tried to block it out of my mind and eat it as fast as I could.  Then I would say something like, “Oh, that was really good.  I bet it had sugar in it and I shouldn’t have eaten it.”
I knew full-well it had too much sugar in it to begin with, trying to fool the people sitting around me.  I may have fooled the people that I work with, but you can’t fool God!
He and I both knew I was aware of what I was doing all along.  Well, I think this Bible verse is saying something similar.  You can’t fool God by doing something that’s against His rules, and then play innocent after the fact, when you really knew you shouldn’t have done it.

Here is a related passage:
*For thou hast trusted in thy wickedness: thou hast said, None seeth me.  Thy wisdom and thy knowledge, it hath perverted thee; and thou hast said in thine heart, I am, and none else beside me.  Isaiah, Chapter 47, verse 10.


Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.  Proverbs, Chapter 22, verse 6.

If we take the time and are consistent in raising our children with rules and appropriate consequences, our children will be the better for it, even in their adult lives.  For one thing, it helps them have parenting skills when they are raising their own children.  
As a teacher, I’ve seen the product of the opposite.  There was a period of time, when some parents seemed to think that it was important to cater to a child’s every wish and didn’t have any consequences for breaking rules.  When some of those kids grew up, they didn’t know how to raise their own children or how to appropriately discipline them, because those skills were never really modeled for them as they grew up.



Speak not in the ears of a fool: for he will despise the wisdom of thy words.  Proverbs, Chapter 23, verse 9.

Sometimes we waste our time trying to explain our beliefs to people who just like to be contrary.  They could argue with us all day, on any issue.  We are just wasting our breath on people like this.  They aren’t going to be open to any of the things we have to tell them about our love for Jesus.
There are people from a particular religion that comes to my door to talk about God, but they don’t believe that Jesus is our Savior.  I could stand there all day and talk to them about how the Bible tells us that Jesus Christ is Savior of all, but they won’t be open to listening.  As a Christian, it’s better for me not to debate my religion with people like that.
For one reason, these people may be more persuasive than we are and we may get confused.  That happened to me one time.  People from this religion were able to quote Bible verses to support the things they were saying, and I started wondering if they were right and I had misinterpreted things.

Later, I got my Bible and read the whole chapter that they had pulled these verses from.  That helped me realize that the verses they mentioned were really talking about a totally different issue.  Those adults pulled verses from the Bible out of context, making them sound like they supported their argument.  If I could get confused by trying to defend my beliefs, then it could possibly happen to you.  It’s easier to not get into a debate in the first place.

Because this is an example of how I’ve applied this Bible passage to my life, it doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage.

Translate

Zoe Ministry.org

Zoe Ministry.org
Empower Orphans to Raise Their Siblings

AmeriCares.org

AmeriCares.org
Saving Lives World Wide

Heifer International.org

Heifer International.org
A Gift of an Animal Can Change People's Lives

Link