Monday, August 1, 2016

The Need to Turn My Selfish Thoughts Around, Why Listen?, My Ego Got in the Way posts

Since Bible Passages That Can Influence Your Life, is now on line through individual posts, I am now putting several links together for each post. I found groupings of three posts worked well for anyone interested in using these for a Bible study group.  Debbie Seiling




The thoughts of the wicked are an abomination to the LORD: but the words of the pure are pleasant words.  Proverbs, Chapter 15, Verse 26.

Now, I guess I might be able to convince some that my thoughts are always God focused and selfless, but God knows how I really am inside.  Fortunately, He forgives me and helps to turn my selfish thoughts and resentments around to be more tolerant and forgiving of others.
Here are some related passages:
*The heart of the righteous studieth to answer: but the mouth of the wicked poureth out evil things.  Proverbs, Chapter 15, verse 28.
*A wicked doer giveth heed to false lips: and a liar giveth ear to a naughty tongue.  Proverbs, Chapter 17, verse 4.
*Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.  Proverbs, Chapter 17, verse 28.
*A false witness shall not be unpunished, and he that speaketh lies shall perish.  Proverbs, Chapter 19, verse 9.
*A fool utterth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards.  Proverbs, Chapter 29, verse 11.



He that refuseth instruction despiseth his own soul: but he that heareth reproof getteth understanding.  Proverbs, Chapter 15, verse 32.

When I was a child, my father noticed that I scuffled my feet as I walked.  He knew it was a counterproductive trait, so he had me practice walking with an appropriate gait.  Being stubborn, I deliberately went back to scuffling my feet.  Now that I am older and have recently broken my ankle, I wish I hadn’t been such a stubborn child.  It would have been nice if I had listened to my father’s advice which would have saved me a lot of discomfort.  We have the same options in our relationship with our Heavenly Father.  To listen, or not to listen, that is the question?  (Forgive me for misquoting Shakespeare.)


The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom; and before honour is humility.  Proverbs, Chapter 15, verse 33.

I enjoy teaching and feel my teaching style has really improved over the years.  Our school district allows each school to make nominations for Teacher of the Year.  Somehow, I got the distorted notion that I had been nominated for this.  Egotistical person that I can be, although most wouldn’t know it, I prepared how I would respond when they announced my nomination at a faculty meeting.  Ironically, the award went to someone else who was extremely deserving and probably a lot more humble.
Fortunately, no one else knew that I thought I was going to be nominated, which was a big relief but God and I did.  This was a humbling experience, to say the least.  Hopefully, it leads me to be less self-absorbed in the future.
Here are some related passages:
*Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD: though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished.  Proverbs, Chapter 16, verse 5.
*Seest thou a man wise in his own conceit?  there is more hope of a fool than of him.  Proverbs, Chapter 26, verse 12.
*Boast not thyself of tomorrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth.  Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips.  Proverbs, Chapter 27, verses 1-2.

Because this is an example of how I’ve applied this Bible passage to my life, it doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage.


How to Know Jesus Is God's Son

Christian Overeaters Past and Present Support Link

Christian Overeaters Past and Present Support Link
Read 100s of Christian Overeaters Past and Present Blog Posts and You Tube Videos

Zoe Ministry.org

Zoe Ministry.org
Empower Orphans to Raise Their Siblings

Heifer International.org

Heifer International.org
A Gift of an Animal Can Change People's Lives