Saturday, May 14, 2016

You Might Wonder What Pie Has to Do With the Bible, Our Christian Duty, Kids With a Reputation Taking Pride in Making Good Choices posts

Since Bible Passages That Can Influence Your Life, is now on line through individual posts, I am now putting several links together for each post. I found groupings of three posts worked well for anyone interested in using these for a Bible study group.  Debbie Seiling


Hast thou found honey?  eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it.  Proverbs, Chapter 25, verse 16.

I really like this because it hits home.  When I used to eat sweets, I would think a particular pie or other delicacy was desirable.  I didn’t think I would get it again for a long time, so I would “sleece” my way around the pie and end up eating almost the whole thing.

Now, if you’re wondering what a “sleece” is, it’s a word I made up to describe taking a little sliver of pie, cake, etc.  It tasted so good that I would take another and another until almost the whole thing was gone.  I would feel so guilty for eating that much, I would put my hand on the top crust of the pie and try to push it down so some of the filling would go out the sides.  I tried to make it look like there was more pie than there actually was.  I thought this would keep my family from knowing what I had done.  I used to eat things that were special treats to the point that I made my stomach sick.  I’m so fortunate that God has taken care of my compulsive overeating.


If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirsty, give him water to drink: For thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head, and the LORD shall reward thee.  Proverbs, Chapter 25, verses 21-22.

The United States has been involved in trying to deal with the terrorist actions that took place on September 11, 2001.  When they were trying to find the terrorists, many were compassionate to the starving people of that country.  I heard that they sent food for approximately 6,000 people on a daily basis.

At first when I heard this, I was really frustrated.  I thought we are helping the enemy who tried to devastate our country through terrorist acts of violence.  Then I realized that I was being very self-centered and decided that it’s our Christian duty to take care of all those starving people.  Sometimes the human side of me sneaks in and undermines my Christian ethics.


He that hath no rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down, and without walls.  Proverbs, Chapter 25, verse 28.

I would get kids through the years, which had a “reputation” for not being in control of their behavior choices.  I think they had been “out of control” for so many years that they thought they’d always be this way and so did some of their families.
After developing a bond with these students, they were more open to following the classroom rules and guidelines.  I tried to help them see the improvements they were making to be more “in control” of their actions and choices.  At first, they were reluctant to believe that they were capable of this, trying to revert back to old, comfortable ways.  After time and continued support to “be the best they could be,” they eventually started noticing that they were making more and more good choices and were thinking about the consequences of their poor choices more than they ever had.
It was exciting to see these same children leave my class at the end of the year, taking pride in their ability to be “in control” of their lives and choices.  They were better able to bounce back when things didn’t go the way they wanted.  They left with confidence, which is a distinct contrast from the student who had that reputation of “being out of control.”

What a difference consistent parameters make in their lives.  Ideally, all families would provide their children with consistent, appropriate rules, not changing them at whim.  This would help their children grow up learning to feel “in control” of their actions rather than becoming someone without rule over his own spirit.

Because this is an example of how I’ve applied this Bible passage to my life, it doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage.

These are other blogs I felt led to create:

This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections. 
Please click on comments below to share your suggestions. Thanks! Debbie

Translate

Zoe Ministry.org

Zoe Ministry.org
Empower Orphans to Raise Their Siblings

AmeriCares.org

AmeriCares.org
Saving Lives World Wide

Heifer International.org

Heifer International.org
A Gift of an Animal Can Change People's Lives

Link