Saturday, April 30, 2016

If God Can Provide for the Widow, He Can Surely Provide for Us, God's Graphic Illustrations, Looking for Clues Instead of Just Letting God Guide Me posts

Since Bible Passages That Can Influence Your Life, is now on line through individual posts, I am now putting several links together for each post. I found groupings of three posts worked well for anyone interested in using these for a Bible study group.  Debbie Seiling


Now there cried a certain woman of the wives of the sons of the prophets unto Elisha, saying, Thy servant my husband is dead; and thou knowest that thy servant did fear the LORD: and the creditor is come to take unto him my two sons to be bondmen. And Elisha said unto her, What shall I do for thee? Tell me, what hast thou in the house? And she said, Thine handmaid hath not any thing in the house, save a pot of oil. Then he said, Go, borrow thee vessels abroad of all thy neighbours, even empty vessels; borrow not a few. And when thou art come in, thou shalt shut the door upon thee and upon thy sons, and shalt pour out into all those vessels, and thou shalt set aside that which is full. So she went from him, and shut the door upon her and upon her sons, who brought the vessels to her; and she poured out. And it came to pass, when the vessels were full, that she said unto her son, Bring me yet a vessel. And he said unto her, There is not a vessel more. And the oil stayed. Then she came and told the man of God. And he said, Go, sell the oil, and pay thy debt, and live thou and thy children of the rest. 2 Kings, Chapter 4, verses 1-7.


This passage gives me goosebumps when I read it. It shows the great extent that God goes to in order to take care of us. Miraculously, He made the container of endless oil in order to take care of this widow and her sons. It makes me think of how foolish I am to worry about bills and finances. If God provided for this widow and her children, He can surely provide for me!



In this passage, Naaman is a leper. He goes to see Elisha to see if he could cure him of his leprosy.

So Naaman came with his horses and with his chariot, and stood at the door of the house of Elisha. And Elisha sent a messenger unto him, saying, Go and wash in Jordan seven times, and thy flesh shall come again to thee, and thou shalt be clean. But Naaman was wroth, and went away, and said, Behold, I thought, He will surely come out to me, and stand, and call on the Name of the LORD his God, and strike his hand over the place, and recover the leper. Are not Abana and Pharpar, rivers of Damascus, better than all the waters of Israel? may I not wash in them, and be clean? So he turned and went away in a rage. And his servants came near, and spake unto him, and said, My father, if the prophet had bid thee do some great thing, wouldest thou not have done it? how much rather then, when he saith to thee, Wash, and be clean? Then went he down, and dipped himself seven times in Jordan, according to the saying of the man of God: and his flesh came again like unto the flesh of a little child, and he was clean. And he returned to the man of God, he and all his company, and came, and stood before him: and he said, Behold, now I know that there is no God in all the earth, but in Israel: now therefore, I pray thee, take a blessing of thy servant. 2 Kings, Chapter 5, verses 9-15.


Naaman leaves Elisha saying, “That’s too easy, I could have bathed in the rivers by my own town. How could something so easy take care of my disease?” (Paraphrased) Sometimes God asks us to do simple things and we don’t trust Him.

All we have to do for Salvation is to believe that Jesus is our Savior and to try to live as examples of how He works in our lives. We are “Made in the Shade Christians,” because God doesn’t ask us to give up everything we own, go into the airport selling flowers, to meditate for hours or to go through great personal sacrifice. Yet many people look elsewhere for God and have been known to jump through all sorts of hoops to find Salvation that is elusive, because they are not focusing on God’s simple requirement.

Naaman eventually realized that it was worth giving the simple request a try and it paid off. He was cured from his leprosy by doing what God wanted him to do. I like the way God uses graphic illustrations to demonstrate the lessons He wants me to learn.



In those days was Hezekiah sick unto death. And the prophet Isaiah the son of Amoz came to him, and said unto him, Thus said the LORD. Set thine house in order; for thou shalt die, and not live. Then he turned his face to the wall, and prayed unto the LORD, saying, I beseech thee, O LORD, remember now how I have walked before Thee in Truth and with a perfect heart, and have done that which is good in Thy sight. And Hezekiah wept sore. And it came to pass, afore Isaiah was gone out into the middle court, that the Word of the LORD came to him, saying, Turn again, and tell Hezekiah the captain of My people, Thus saith the LORD, the God of David thy father, I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears: behold, I will heal thee: on the third day thou shalt go up unto the house of the LORD. And I will add unto thy days fifteen years; and I will deliver thee and this city out of the hand of the king of Assyria; and I will defend this city for Mine own sake, and for My servant David’s sake. And Isaiah said, Take a lump of figs. And they took and laid it on the boil, and he recovered. 2 Kings, Chapter 20, verses 1-7.

This passage makes me realize that God takes all things into consideration. Sometimes I find myself thinking things happen a particular way because that’s the way they are meant to be. This passage shows me that although that may be true, it isn’t always the way God works. Isn’t it funny that I get caught up in trying to figure out how God works? It’s kind of like I’m a detective looking for clues, rather than just letting God guide me and show me what He wants.
This passage tells me to continue praying about issues of concern and not to give up hope, because God can decide to turn things around. This is evidenced by God deciding to let the king live fifteen more years after he prayed to Him. God can do anything. He is God! He defies all explanation!

Because this is an example of how I’ve applied this Bible passage to my life, it doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage.

These are other blogs I felt led to create:

This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections. 
Please click on comments below to share your suggestions. Thanks! Debbie

Translate

Zoe Ministry.org

Zoe Ministry.org
Empower Orphans to Raise Their Siblings

AmeriCares.org

AmeriCares.org
Saving Lives World Wide

Heifer International.org

Heifer International.org
A Gift of an Animal Can Change People's Lives

Link