Thursday, April 21, 2016

How Is God Similar to the Marines?, Regretting Being So Shallow, and When I'm Being Critical of Others posts

Since Bible Passages That Can Influence Your Life, is now on line through individual posts, I am now putting several links together for each post. I found groupings of three posts worked well for anyone interested in using these for a Bible study group.  Debbie Seiling


But He giveth more grace.  Wherefore He saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble. Submit yourselves therefore to God.  Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.  Draw nigh to God, and He will draw nigh to you.  Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.  James, Chapter 4, verses 6-8.

I think that God is looking for a few good men and women just like the Marines.  They don’t want proud, boastful people who go around saying they are better than others.  They want people who show their worth by their behavior and choices all the time.


But now ye rejoice in your boastings: all such rejoicing is evil.  Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.  James, Chapter 4, verses 16-17.

This passage makes me sad because I know I have been guilty of this more times than I would like to mention.  I was teaching in a suburb of a larger city with more affluent families.  A friend who teaches there asked me to go to the city with her to read with some “inner city” kids after school.  Instead, I chose to co-sponsor the Art Club, doing projects with those more affluent.  I regret being so shallow.



Grudge not one against another, brethren, lest ye be condemned: behold, the judge standeth before the door.  James, Chapter 5, verse 9.

You know, it seems that our character flaws have been ingrained in us for so long that they would be almost impossible to change, but not so with God.  I have found that since I’m focusing on God’s Will for my life, the thought about God judging me like I judge others pops into my mind when I’m being critical of others, allowing me to make the changes that He wants.

Because this is an example of how I’ve applied this Bible passage to my life, it doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage.

These are other blogs I felt led to create:

This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections. 
Please click on comments below to share your suggestions. Thanks! Debbie

Translate

Zoe Ministry.org

Zoe Ministry.org
Empower Orphans to Raise Their Siblings

AmeriCares.org

AmeriCares.org
Saving Lives World Wide

Heifer International.org

Heifer International.org
A Gift of an Animal Can Change People's Lives

Link