Monday, March 14, 2016

Going Off on Tangents and Getting Caught Up in Worldly Issues, Reflecting the Way God Has Changed My Life, and Resentful that We Don't Have the Newest and the Best of Worldly Items posts

Since Bible Passages That Can Influence Your Life, is now on line through individual posts, I am now putting several links together for each post. I found groupings of three posts worked well for anyone interested in using these for a Bible study group.  Debbie Seiling


If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.  Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.  Colossians, Chapter 3, verses 1-2.

I don’t know how you do it, but you should see me clean the house.  I start with one aspect of house cleaning.  I get off on a tangent when I see something that needs to be put away in another room.  When I’m in that room, I am reminded of something else that I forgot to do.  After I do that thing, I try to remember what I had originally started to do, because by that time, I've lost my focus.  Sometimes I remember and sometimes I don’t!  This passage reminds me that I am to continue to focus on God and His will for me instead of going off on tangents and getting caught up in worldly issues which can pull my focus away from Him.


But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.  Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of Him that created Him.  Colossians, Chapter 3, verses 8-10.

They say you can’t tell a book by its cover, but this passage is kind of the reverse of that.  It tells me that people look at Christians to see if they really behave the way they think Christians should.  God reminds me now that I’m a Christian; I’m to behave as a Christian.  I’m not to be hateful, gossip, use vulgar speech or use God’s Name in vain (even though it has become so commonplace that people don’t realize that they’re even doing it.)  When people see me, my cover needs to reflect the way God has changed my life.

Here is a related passage:
*Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as He is righteous.  He that committeth sin is of the devil: for the devil sinneth from the beginning.  For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.  Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for His seed remaineth in Him: and He cannot sin, because He is born of God.  In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.  1 John, Chapter 3, verses 7-10.


Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, long suffering; Forbearing one another and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.  And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.  And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.  Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and Spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.  And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the Name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him.  Colossians, Chapter 3, verses 12-17.

Actually, Christians are really fortunate, these days.  You don’t commonly hear of them throwing Christians to the lions anymore.  I think it’s more about us being willing to live as God wants us to by being examples of how He works in our lives, regardless of what other people think or say.
Are we resentful when we are presented with an opportunity to make a donation to a worthy cause or are we giving to others and thankful for what we have?  Do we get caught up in reading the latest fad or do we find time to grow in our faith as we read the Bible and learn more about God?  Do we get caught up in listening to music with a worldly theme or do we sing Spiritual songs and hymns?  Do we respond hatefully to cashiers who seem less than sensitive to our concerns or do we remember all our actions and words reflect our faith in God?  Are we resentful that we don’t have the newest and the best of worldly items like others or are we thankful for all God provides for us?  Food for thought!

Because this is an example of how I’ve applied this Bible passage to my life, it doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage.

These are other blogs I felt led to create:

This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections. 
Please click on comments below to share your suggestions. Thanks! Debbie

How to Know Jesus Is God's Son

Christian Overeaters Past and Present Support Link

Christian Overeaters Past and Present Support Link
Read 100s of Christian Overeaters Past and Present Blog Posts and You Tube Videos

Zoe Ministry.org

Zoe Ministry.org
Empower Orphans to Raise Their Siblings

Heifer International.org

Heifer International.org
A Gift of an Animal Can Change People's Lives