Monday, November 16, 2015

Trying to Give Caesar a Little Less of what Seems Mine, Those With No Remorse for Evicting Widows, and Forgiven Though I Get Self-Righteous at Times and Puff Up My Ego Posts

Since Bible Passages That Can Influence Your Life, is now on line through individual posts, I am now putting several links together for each post. I found groupings of three posts worked well for anyone interested in using these for a Bible study group.  Debbie Seiling


And they watched Him, and sent forth spies, which should feign themselves just men, that they might take hold of His Words, that so they might deliver Him unto the power and authority of the governor.  And they asked Him, saying, Master, we know that Thou sayest and teachest rightly, neither acceptest thou the person of any, but teachest the way of God truly: Is it lawful for us to give tribute unto Caesar, or no?  But He perceived their craftiness, and said unto them, Why tempt ye Me?  Show Me a penny.  Whose image and superscription hath it?  And He said unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which be Caesar’s, and unto God the things which be God’s.  And they could not take hold of His Words before the people: and they marvelled at His answer, and held their peace.  Luke, Chapter 20, verses 20-26.

I keep having problems with this one.  I’ve sold several different products in side-line businesses for the sole purpose of trying to give Caesar a little less of what seems mine.  (Now there is nothing wrong with having a side-line business or selling things to gain a profit.  My goal was distinctly motivated toward being able to legally keep more of my money, although I did everything in my power to do it legally.)
Writing this book has made me more aware of my motives.  I have given up the side-line businesses, since my motives weren’t in-line with what God would want me to do.  I keep letting worldly things sneak in and put a wedge in my relationship with God.
I guess I have two options when God makes me aware of these things.  I can try to ignore them and pretend that I have blinders on and don’t really understand what He is showing me, or I can make the changes necessary to be in-line with what God wants.  In order to do that, I am donating the profits I get from this book to a non-profit organization or a charitable cause.  Money wasn’t the reason I wrote this.  I felt strongly led to share these insights with you, with the desire that you would better understand the positive influence the Bible can have in your daily life.


Then in the audience of all the people He said unto His disciples, Beware of the scribes, which desire to walk in long robes, and love greetings in the markets, and the highest seats in the synagogues, and the chief rooms at feasts; Which devour widows’ houses, and for a show make long prayers: the same shall receive greater damnation.  Luke, Chapter 20, verses 45-47.

This reminds me of old westerns I used to watch on TV.  It would show the banker (not to imply this is the way bankers are or this behavior is limited only to bankers.)  He would appear nice enough, saying hi to the husband, tip his hat to the wife and did “coochie coos” to her baby.  This banker is a good upstanding churchgoer.  He appears to be the pillar of society, a role model to others.
Then as the plot thickens, the banker and his cohorts try to squeeze the farmer and his family off their land.  He secretly knows there is a lot of profit to be gained by that particular piece of property.  The husband dies in a freak accident which is highly suspicious.  Then the banker comes to give the grieving wife his condolences and tell her how sorry he is about her loss.  He says that out of the goodness of his heart, he will give the wife an extra month’s extension on paying what is owed on the property before he forecloses on their mortgage.
The rest of the movie is dedicated to showing how the banker and his cohorts try to make it difficult for her, and those that befriend her, to pay the money owed.  Of course, in the movie, good wins out over evil and the lady and her baby get to stay in their home.  But, in real life; that doesn’t always happen. 
There are some who are very cunning and would have no remorse for evicting the widow and her child from their home, because they are within their rights as far as the law goes.  These people would continue to go to church without a guilty conscience, because they have rationalized their actions.  The thing is…God knows what they do and no amount of rationalization is going to cut it with God for those who take advantage of widows and orphans! Please click on this post's title to read a related Bible passage.

And when the hour was come, He sat down, and the twelve apostles with Him.  And He said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer: For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God.  And He took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves: For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.  And He took Bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is My Body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of Me.  Likewise also the Cup after supper, saying, This Cup is the New Testament in My Blood which is shed for you.  Luke, Chapter 22, verses 14-20.

These words are very significant to me each time I prepare to have Communion.  They remind me of how Jesus knew what was going to happen to Him and He still went through it anyway…for me.  He gave His life for me, even though I get self-righteous at times and puff up my ego…For me, even though I can get cranky with my family, especially when my blood sugar is low…For me, even though I look at the angles to see how I can keep more of the money I think I deserve rather than giving it to Uncle Sam…For me, even though I have a difficult time giving up control and trusting God to take care of me…For me, even though I have some hateful, jealous thoughts in my mind, at times.  I could go on, but you get the picture.  I’m a very sinful human being and Jesus gave His life for me…and He gave it for you, too!

But, behold, the hand of him that betrayeth Me is with Me on the table.  And truly the Son of Man goeth, as it was determined: but woe unto that man by whom He is betrayed!  Luke, Chapter 22, verses 21-22.

I remember times in high school when I thought people were talking about me when they looked in my general direction.  They might not have been doing anything at all.  I was just very self-conscious, as are many teenagers at that age.  I had a difficult time associating with those people that I thought were disloyal to me, whether it was real or just perceived.  It amazes me how Jesus didn’t just think someone was going to betray Him, He knew it!  He didn’t avoid the whole situation, as I would have.  He continued to associate with the person that was going to betray Him.
What love He had to have for us to bear these interactions, even when He knew the very people He loved were going to be disloyal to Him.  It’s difficult for me to comprehend such a truly selfless love for others.  I’m so very fortunate Jesus is my Lord and Savior!

Because this is an example of how I’ve applied this Bible passage to my life, it doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage.

These are other blogs I felt led to create:

This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections. 
Please click on comments below to share your suggestions. Thanks! Debbie

Translate

Zoe Ministry.org

Zoe Ministry.org
Empower Orphans to Raise Their Siblings

AmeriCares.org

AmeriCares.org
Saving Lives World Wide

Heifer International.org

Heifer International.org
A Gift of an Animal Can Change People's Lives

Link