Thursday, November 5, 2015

Putting Jesus on the Back Shelf Until Needed, Not Wasting My Time Arguing How and When I'm Going to Heaven, and I Get Caught Up in the Egotistical Part Posts

Since Bible Passages That Can Influence Your Life, is now on line through individual posts, I am now putting several links together for each post. I found groupings of three posts worked well for anyone interested in using these for a Bible study group.  Debbie Seiling


And it came to pass, as He went to Jerusalem that He passed through the midst of Samaria and Galilee.  And as He entered into a certain village, there met Him ten men that were lepers, which stood afar off: And they lifted up their voices, and said, Jesus, Master, have mercy on us.  And when He saw them, He said unto them, Go show yourselves unto the priests.  And it came to pass, that, as they went, they were cleansed.  And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God, And fell down on his face at His feet, giving Him thanks: and he was a Samaritan.  And Jesus answering said, Were there not ten cleansed?  but where are the nine?  There are not found that returned to give glory to God, save this stranger.  And He said unto him, Arise, go thy way: thy faith hath made thee whole.  Luke, Chapter 17, verses 11-19.

I pray to God about things that concern me in my everyday life.  Do I stop and thank Him for resolving all these issues?  Not for the most part!  My life runs smoothly because the problem has been resolved and I go on with my life, putting Jesus back on the shelf until I need him again.
After I read this passage, I thought about how ungrateful the nine healed lepers were.  Isn’t that exactly what I’m doing when I don’t take the time to thank God for resolving the issues in my life?


Luke, Chapter 17, verses 34-37, is very controversial.  I have heard many different opinions from supposed authorities on these passages.  I decided years ago that it’s more important for me to continue to focus on my relationship with God.  Spending my time arguing over how and when I am going to heaven is time wasted, in my opinion, when I could have spent the time being a better example of Jesus’ influence on my life. 
I don’t have to spend years trying to figure out whose interpretation of this Bible passage is correct.  My Salvation is guaranteed through Jesus’ death and Resurrection as long as I continue to love Him as my Lord and Savior and try to lead a life that reflects my faith in Him.  If I do these, I will have Salvation at the time and in the manner that God deems is best.  I think God has other things He would like me to focus on, like reading the Bible rather than worrying about the details of how and when this is all going to happen.


And He spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.  The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.  I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.  And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.  I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.  Luke, Chapter 18, verses 9-14.

This passage is kind of like Biblical irony.  The Pharisee with the higher status, self-righteous attitude and brags about all the wonderful things he has done for others, isn’t justified.  The humble man with the low status, who states how unworthy he is, is justified.
It really opens my eyes.  Sometimes I become very self-righteous like the Pharisee, boasting to myself about all the good things I’ve done.  (Actually it wasn’t me doing them in the first place.  God gave me the instincts to do those things, but I was taking credit for them while boasting.)  I need to be much more humble and not get so caught up in the egotistical part.  That’s how Satan sneaks in and leads Christians astray!

Because this is an example of how I’ve applied this Bible passage to my life, it doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage.

These are other blogs I felt led to create:

This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections. 
Please click on comments below to share your suggestions. Thanks! Debbie

Jesus Calls You, But Do Your Actions Say You Don't Desire Him?

A Christian Caregiver Blog

A Christian Caregiver Blog
Trying to Maintain a Focus on Christ's Will While Providing Care for a Parent

Free2ShareVBS Link

Free2ShareVBS Link
Free VBS Curriculum

Translate