Monday, September 28, 2015

Not Just a "Holiday Christian", Living Life in the Fast Lane, and Are We Fishers? Posts

Since Bible Passages That Can Influence Your Life, is now on line through individual posts, I am now putting several links together for each post. I found groupings of three posts worked well for anyone interested in using these for a Bible study group.  Debbie Seiling


And she brought forth her firstborn Son, and wrapped Him in swaddling clothes, and laid Him in a manger: because there was no room for them in the inn.  Luke, Chapter 2, verse 7.

Royalty usually are shown living in castles or expensive mansions.  I think it’s difficult for today’s royalty to move around without lots of Paparazzi following them everywhere.  It’s to the point that they can’t even go for a walk without people snapping their picture.  Customers buy up these magazines, because they are in awe of royalty or celebrities, of one kind or another.
Jesus came into this world in very humble surroundings.  There was no fanfare or notoriety, unless you figure an angel notifying the shepherds and a star guiding the wise men, fits into this category.  Jesus lived a humble life.  He didn’t live in a castle with great wealth and servants even though He could have chosen to.  In fact, He didn’t even own property. 
And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of Man hath not where to lay His head.  Matthew, Chapter 8, verse 20.
He could have chosen to lead the good life, but chose poverty and persecution for me.  Do I deserve it?  No way!  Nothing I ever do will be anything close to earning all that Jesus went though on my behalf.  The only thing I can do is make sure that I’m not just a “Holiday Christian,” only focusing on God or only attending church on religious holidays.  The only way I can thank Him is by trying to live my life as an example, so others can come to know Him as I do.
Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is.  For the Son of Man is as a man taking a far journey, who left his house, and gave authority to his servants, and to every man his work, and commanded the porter to watch.  Watch ye therefore: for ye know not when the master of the house cometh, at even, or at , or at the cockcrowing, or in the morning: Lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping.  And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch.  Mark 13, verses 33-37.  There is a similar passage in Luke, Chapter 12, verses 42-47.

This passage helps me realize that I’m supposed to live the life God wants, all the time.  I could have a more self-involved attitude where I wanted to be worldly now, focusing my time and attention on earning the most I could, attending all-night parties, living life in the fast lane, with heavy drinking and recreational drugs, thinking I could focus my attention on my faith later on in life.
I might not ever get a second chance to do that.  I could be in an accident five minutes from now or the world could end.  Who knows?  Only God does and I may never get another chance to turn my life around.
Do you think the owner will continue to employ the servant who fell asleep while he was supposed to guard the owner’s home?  I doubt it.  Well, God wants us to live the life of a Christian all the time, not sometime later, when we feel like settling down a little more.  That time may never come.
This is in no way meant to imply people who have lived their lives in the fast lane can’t go to heaven.  The operative word is “lived.”  This means the person has made a choice to change their life around because of their faith in Jesus and start living the life of a Christian.  None of us knows when God is going to come for us, so we can’t put off these choices indefinitely.  We need to put a lot of prayerful thought into whether we think God would be pleased with the life we are leading? Click on the Post title to read some related Bible passages.
And He entered into one of the ships, which was Simon’s and prayed Him that He would thrust out a little from the land.  And He sat down and taught the people out of the ship.  Now when He had left speaking, He said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught.  And Simon answering said unto Him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at Thy Word I will let down the net.  And when they had this done, they enclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake.  And they beckoned unto their partners, which were in the other ship, that they should come and help them.  And they came, and filled both the ships, so that they began to sink.  When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees saying, Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord.  For he was astonished, and all that were with him, at the draught of the fishes which they had taken: And so was also James, and John, the sons of Zebedee, which were partners with Simon.  And Jesus said unto Simon, Fear not; from henceforth thou shalt catch men. Luke, Chapter 5, verses 3-10.

Jesus impressed me when He turned the work of these three gentlemen from being fishers, who supply man’s human needs, to being fishers of men, who supply man’s spiritual needs.  I think Jesus wants us to be fishers of men, too.  We need to each listen to the instincts that He gives us about this so we can do His will.

Because this is an example of how I’ve applied this Bible passage to my life, it doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage.

These are other blogs I felt led to create:

This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections. 
Please click on comments below to share your suggestions. Thanks! Debbie

How to Know Jesus Is God's Son

Christian Overeaters Past and Present Support Link

Christian Overeaters Past and Present Support Link
Read 100s of Christian Overeaters Past and Present Blog Posts and You Tube Videos

Zoe Ministry.org

Zoe Ministry.org
Empower Orphans to Raise Their Siblings

Heifer International.org

Heifer International.org
A Gift of an Animal Can Change People's Lives