Thursday, August 13, 2015

The Good Debbie's, Gaining the Admiration of Others, and Praying on Auto Pilot Posts

Since Bible Passages That Can Influence Your Life, is now on line through individual posts, I am now putting several links together for each post. I found groupings of three posts worked well for anyone interested in using these for a Bible study group.  Debbie Seiling



Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.  Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men.  Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.  But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret Himself shall reward thee openly.  Matthew, Chapter 6, verses 1-4.


This passage makes me very aware that I need to be discreet about giving to the church and other charities.  I remember that there was a time in my life that I routinely did favors and nice things for others.  What I really was waiting for was a “thank you” or what I call a “Good Debbie.”  I was waiting for someone else to tell me what a wonderful person I was as if to validate my existence here on earth.
I realize my goal as a Christian is to do nice things discreetly.  So now I do them for God and not the “Good Debbie’s”.  The good works we do for others shouldn’t be to show off or to prove to others what good Christians we are.  They should be out of our love for Jesus.



And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men.  Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.  But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.  Matthew, Chapter 6, verses 5-6.

God wants me to be discreet when I pray, as well.  I shouldn’t do it in a way that attracts other people’s attention, especially when to do so might put me in the position to gain the respect or admiration of others.  My prayers aren’t for personal gain but are my personal communication with God.


 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.  Matthew, Chapter 6, verse 7.

I get caught up in thinking that I’m saying these wonderful prayers, but I recognize that they don’t mean anything if I’m daydreaming about situations at work or what I need to get at the store.  I realize that when I say the same prayers over and over without thinking about what I’m saying to God, they ARE vain repetitions!  God doesn’t want me just going through the motions when I pray.  He wants any communication I have with Him to be meaningful enough to focus on it.Click on the post title to read a related Bible passage.

Because this is an example of how I’ve applied this Bible passage to my life, it doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage.

These are other blogs I felt led to create:

This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections. 
Please click on comments below to share your suggestions. Thanks! Debbie

How to Know Jesus Is God's Son

Christian Overeaters Past and Present Support Link

Christian Overeaters Past and Present Support Link
Read 100s of Christian Overeaters Past and Present Blog Posts and You Tube Videos

Zoe Ministry.org

Zoe Ministry.org
Empower Orphans to Raise Their Siblings

Heifer International.org

Heifer International.org
A Gift of an Animal Can Change People's Lives