A Bible Passage for Supervisors and Managers

I want to deviate some from the writing format I’ve been using, so far. I want to give the background of this chapter in order to condense this. This is about 2 Chronicles, Chapter 10. I hate to include the whole chapter.

Rehoboam, who is Solomon’s son, became king after Solomon died. The Israelites sent spokesmen to King Rehoboam to ask him to lighten their work load. They said his father had been much too harsh on them. They asked him to lighten their work load and promised they would be loyal to him in return. He told them to come back in three days so that he could have some time to think about it.

First, King Rehoboam went to get advice from the old men who told him that if he lightened the Israelites work load and talked nicely to them, they would be his servants forever. Then King Rehoboam went to get the advice of the young men (his friends) who told him to tell the Israelites that if they thought his father made their workload heavy, just wait and see how heavy he was going to make it. His friends told him that he was much more of a man than his father. (Paraphrased)

Well, after three days, the Israelites came back to King Rehoboam to get his reply to their request to lighten their workload. He ignored the advice of the older men. And answered the advice of the young men, saying, My father made your yoke heavy, but I will add thereto: my father chastised you with whips, but I will chastise you with scorpions. 2 Chronicles, Chapter 10, verse 14. The Israelites rebelled against King Rehoboam.

I wish supervisors and managers would read this passage. It shows that the treatment the boss gives their employees can make the difference of whether the employees are loyal and productive or whether they rebel. The other thing that this passage reminds me of is how easy it is for people to ignore the advice God has given them through the Bible and choose to follow the advice of their friends instead. Obviously, friends don’t always have the best of advice, as evidenced in this passage.

Because this is an example of how I’ve applied this Bible passage to my life, it doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage.


I've shared my connections to this passage. Please share your connections below.