Don't Just Believe that Something Is in the Bible Just Because Someone Says It's There: Check It Out for Yourself

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.  Abstain from all appearance of evil.  And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly, and I pray God your whole Spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.  1 Thessalonians, Chapter 5, verses 21-23.

I think the “Prove all things” is good sound advice.  We aren’t to believe everything someone says is in the Bible just because someone who sounds knowledgeable says it’s in there.  It means we are to check it out first. 
This passage also says that we should make sure we are in situations that are good for us and to stay away from anything that is evil or could lead us astray.  Sometimes when I’m angry with someone, I ask God to take care of it, but in reality I still really want to be angry a little longer.  When I ask God to take care of my willingness to let Him take my anger away, then I’m surrendering my need to stay angry.

Because this is an example of how I’ve applied this Bible passage to my life, it doesn't necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage.


This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections.