Some Propose Beliefs That Sound Good but Will Lead Many Astray

But what I do, that I will do, that I may cut off occasion from them which desire occasion; that wherein they glory, they may be found even as we.  For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.  And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.  Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.  2 Corinthians, Chapter 11, verses 12-15.

This passage reminds us to be careful to not be deceived.  There will be people who say they are Christians, proposing beliefs that sound good but will lead many astray.  It goes on to say that Satan transforms himself into a minister of righteousness to mislead people.
I always remember Jim Jones who was a minister years ago.  He took a group of “believers” to Jonestown, Guyana.  These people must have been very devoted to their “beliefs.”  I’m not sure that if push came to shove that I would leave my home and family to go to another country just because someone told me this is what God wanted me to do.  Anyway, they must have been very dedicated to leave everything and everyone behind.
Jim Jones either convinced or tricked these “believers” into committing suicide when the authorities got too involved.  Well, although these were very committed “believers” who gave up all for their faith in God, it was for nothing.  They gave up all their things, friends, family and lives for a very disturbed minister who led these people to believe he was doing the will of God.  (If you want more details; look up the Jonestown Massacre in Guyana during 1978.)  Did these people find Salvation?  I can’t speak to that, but it’s highly questionable.
We don’t want to find ourselves misled by others who profess to be followers of God.  I think it’s very important for all Christians to check things out in the Bible.  Don’t take things for granted just because someone else says them, whether it’s a minister, a devoted Christian, me, someone on a Christian Channel or Radio Station.  It’s very easy to take a verse or two out of the Bible and make it support just about anything.  That’s considered using the Bible passages out of context.
Reading a chapter before the passage and after the passage is beneficial.  Each chapter is about a page or two.  This gives you a better idea of what the quoted Bible verses really mean.  That’s why I always tell you where I get the Bible passages.  I want you to be able to look them up and verify them.  It’s a very important thing to do.
You need to look at the people who have an influence on your religious life.  What type of lifestyle do they lead?  Are they running in the fast lane?  Are they preaching something that has become very popular or a fad type of belief?  Are they taking too much credit for things rather than keeping the focus on God?  Are they putting an undue emphasis on giving money?  Be cautious about who you give ultimate control of your religious life.  Check things out.  Passages like this one remind me that very dedicated believers can still be misled by others as in the Jonestown Massacre.  It pays to check things out.  It may have a direct impact on your Salvation.

Because this is an example of how I’ve applied this Bible passage to my life, it doesn’t necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage.

This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections.