A Little Respect and a Smile or Two

Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again. Luke, Chapter 6, verse 30.

I think God wants us to give freely to those in need.  I’m not sure about the interpretation of the second part of this passage.  I have taken it to be an answer to a dilemma I have with giving to others.  I think there is a fine line between empowering and enabling.  There are times when a person gives to others and it empowers them, giving them a hand-up to be the best they can be.  Then there are times where you give to others and it creates an enabling dependency that is counterproductive and isn’t healthy for that person.  So I don’t give to people I think are going to use the money to buy another bottle or to people who are deliberately trying to take advantage of me or scam me.
I’m not sure that’s what the second part of this passage was really saying and I apologize if I’m misleading anyone, but that’s the way I have taken it.  A good rule of thumb is to trust the instincts that God gives you.  I try to let those instincts guide me in giving.  Don’t forget giving isn’t only of our money.  Sometimes giving is by treating others with respect or taking the time to listen to their story whether you’ve heard similar stories a million times over.  Giving of your time by being there for someone else when they need someone in their corner can be a much more powerful thing than any monetary gift.  Sometimes people who are down and out just need a hand-up, a little respect and a smile or two.
(As I read this passage while I’m editing the book, I wonder if God doesn’t want us to give even if we think someone is going to buy another bottle.  Who are we to say whether our kindness might leave a positive impact on that person which goes far beyond anything we might ever realize.  As I said originally, trust the instincts that God gives you on this subject.  Those will be right for your situation.)

Because this is an example of how I’ve applied this Bible passage to my life, it doesn’t necessarily reflect the whole meaning of the passage. Debbie


This is a connection I've made from this Bible passage. Please share your connections. 
Please put your cursor on comments below and click to share your opinions. Thanks! Debbie